Sunday, July 19, 2009

Only 1, not 99...

me "Burb Police Dept, this is spatcher911, can I help you?"
overly concerned citizen (OCC) "yea, there's an air ballon awfully close to the ground, you need to do something about it?"

Ok, *I* need to do something?? I sit at the box, I tell Officers where to go, I don't handle the problem.. anyways..

me "an air balloon? as in a hot air balloon?"
OCC "well, yea, what else would I be calling about?"
(really?? are you really asking me this cause you're calling me about THIS!!)
me "ok, where is it at?"
OCC "if you would look outside, you would see it. It's flying really low to the ground and you need to do something about it."
me "sir, I'm in the middle of a building with no windows, you need to tell me where it is first"
OCC "ugh, it's by ABC and XYZ. It keeps going up and down in the air. I don't know if it's trying to land or what but there should be something done about that balloon. It's a BigNameBusiness balloon and I've seen it before and I'm tired of it"
me "Is the balloon trying to land or take off maybe where it would be flying low and going up and down?"
OCC "does it matter, something needs to be done about this balloon."

At this point I tell OCC to hold on just a minute and inform the Officer in dispatching eating dinner and catching up with his TCs what OCC is complaining about. He has the power to say what needs to be said; what I WISH I had the power to say.

Officer "Sir, it's a hot air balloon, I'm not the balloon operator, so I don't know if he's trying to take off or land but at some point the balloon will be in the air or be on the ground, that's how that works. It's perfectly legal for them to fly and to have advertising on his balloon too."

Come to find out, OCC wasn't upset about the balloon, he was irritated that the balloon was being operated by BigNameBusiness. Why that mattered I do not know and to be honest, I really do not care. That seemed to be the theme of the day- call the Burb Police Dept for things that really aren't police matters because you have a personal issue with something somehow connected to whatever it was you were callling about (BigNameBusiness instead of the actual balloon being called about). It is so time for my shift to be over...

No comments:

Post a Comment