Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm baacck.. and with a vengance

I'm back now for my second post. Whoot!! I think I might actually committ to this like I had planned. Had the last 3 days off, which was fabulous. I value my limited time from this place so much. The job is great and wonderful, blah, blah, blah, but God I love my time away from the nonsense I have to deal with on days.

Came back to work yesterday and the day just drug... Not a damn thing happened all day until shift change when he had a suicidal overdose 20something year old run and hide from us. Had all of EMS and the day crew out setting up perimeters, searching fields and residences and neighboring towns for the guy. To me, it seemed like he couldn't have gotten far- he was in the house at time of disconnect with the caller reporting the OD and then was just gone. He left his shoes and his car at the house and knows no one else in our town. But now he's gone. I would think "hmmm, dude is barefoot and rideless, he has to be SOMEWHERE in the immediate area.." But, what do I know... I'm a JFD (just a fuckin' dispatcher- yea I cuss like a sailor, what's it to you). Hour passes and still nothing on our kid. Sgt Blabbermouth is running his mouth about a bunch of nothing as usual and spouts off an address. So I check that address in our inhouse records and sure enough, it's a known address to keep some town shitheads. I find this and try and advise Sgt Blabbermouth of this info (officer safety is my primary concern and hey, knowing who's house we're going to would be nice, right?) and what do I get... "Dispatch, *sigh, stand by". What the fuck?! Are you really that all knowing that you KNOW what I've got and of course because I AM a JFD I have to know nothing of any importance. Not that what I had mattered in the long run because another officer found the kid hiding under a bush IN THE BACKYARD of the house he ran from... wow!

Point of all that- I love my job and all but I really hate when I do my job and keep my officers' safety foremost and find info that they would possibly like and need to know before getting into a situation, and get the blow off. I know I'm not commissioned and I know I sit behind a desk for hours on end and answer a phone and radio. I don't carry a gun, I don't make physical contact with the subjects, but I do know a thing or two believe it or not. Who do you think finds your outstanding warrants? Who do you think alerts you to the vehicle you have stopped midafternoon is entered as stolen and the suspect is armed and dangerous because he JUST stole the vehicle at gunpoint? Who do you think has to talk to the frantic caller and get what is going on and all your information of the bastard who beat the shit out of his old lady and then took off- vehicle he left in, direction of travel, possible destination of travel, any weapons on his person, etc? Yea, thats right mother fuckers, me, the JFD! Would you give me just SOME credit and let me tell you what I know, because believe it or not, I do have your best interest at heart and want to make sure that you come home to your wife, girlfriend, husband, significant other and children. I know I would want mine to come home to me at the end of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment