Friday, July 3, 2009

Let me introduce myself

Welcome!

After a lot of debating and thought, I have decided to enter the world of blogging. Why you ask? Like others, I have lots on my mind and no way to get it all out, and since no one wants to listen to me in person, I'll put it all out on ther interwebz for you to read.


So, let me tell you a bit about me. My name is.. wouldn't you like to know :) I'm a late 20's 911 dispatcher for a town in Illinois that's decently sized- not too big, not too small. I've been in the field now for just shy of 5yrs and couldn't love my job more. I kinda fell into the line of work- roommate's dad was a Captain for my current department and they were looking for part time TCs and I was looking to get out of working in bars. It was a perfect match and love at first contact with the job. Yea...right!! I HATED it the first 2 weeks and constantly doubted what I was doing and why I was here. Between trying to develop radio ear and learn the CAD (computer aided dispatch) system and all the police and department admin codes, I was going CRAZY! But like all, I had to fall to bottom and breakdown in order to rise and learn. I finally earned my coworkers and officer's trust and now I can't imagine not being in this line of work.


So the whole point of this blog is to share the joys of this job with all of you out there. By joys, I mean not only the touchy feely warm moments of the job when I answer the call of a frantic mother trying to locate her missing child or help a wife perform CPR on her unconscious husband but also those jewels of calls where a man calls over and over and OVER again because he can't remember where he put his just bought case of beer (yes, I have taken that call) or the local crazy woman that wants to constantly remind us that everything that has happened to her is all our fault and that she hates us. My thought- if you hate us so much, STOP CALLING ME!! I know I don't call people I don't like, so why would call me?? Call me when you actually have a police matter. Buh bye..

Now that I've told you a bit about me, hopefully I haven't chased you off and you'll come back and see what else I have to come up with.

1 comment: